Early years / Pattis farewell / Viennese triumph / Brahms listens / America 1896 / Paganinis violin / Marriage / World War I / America 1921 / Europe 1925 / Political tension / Riots in Vienna / Stolen Strad / Palestine / World War II / Liberation
Although you can skip to any section of the biography, to read it in chronological order, start with early years.
If you don’t want to plough through the whole biography, here is the shortened version:
- 1882 Born in Czestochowa, Poland.
- 1892 Plays to Joachim, who accepts him as a student.
- 1895 Plays at Patti’s farewell concert in Vienna.
- 1896 Plays Brahms concerto to an astounded Brahms.
- 1910 Marries Elza Galafrés and has a child, Johannes.
- 1914 Divorces Elza.
- 1920 Becomes involved in the Pan-Europa movement.
- 1933 Refuses Furtwängler's invitation to play in Nazi Germany.
- 1936 Strad stolen in Carnegie Hall.
- 1936 Forms the Palestine Symphony Orchestra.
- 1937 Plane crash in Sumatra.
- 1947 Dies in Switzerland.